in addition to morning pastries, pasta courses that would ordinarily constitute the entire meal, gelato, day forgetting, and love affair with doors, here are a few other things we incorporated into our daily italian life there in the cinque terre...
- taking boats to get from place to place in addition to trains;
- actually figuring out how to properly take the trains...there's this whole validation process which we were pretty keen on ahead of time but there's also the element of making sure you get on the right train. luckily...the wrong train didn't take us too far and thank goodness we didn't have our ridiculous amount of luggage (which, was probably average but felt absolutely ridiculous when cramming it off and on the trains in what felt like a fire drill);
- delightful sleep (which was probably more of a food induced coma type state but delightful sleep sounds better);
- browsing the markets to admire things we couldn't manage to carry home;
- loading up on picnic goodies (because for whatever reason between the pastries, pasta, secondo courses and the gelato we were actually hungry)...we blamed it on the dr. seuss staircases;
- late night wine drinking and star gazing (this also often involved eating some sweets that ele sent along with us);
- doing laundry by hand and hanging it from the windows to dry; and
- writing and mailing postcards (we had big plans to continue the postcard writing, but, we didn't succeed). it was SO much fun though, to stick the ones we did write into the cutest little post office boxes I think I've ever seen.