Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"words do inspire"

"this is our moment. this is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can’t, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:
Yes We Can." -- barack obama -- president elect acceptance speech, november 4th, 2008

I generally follow the cardinal rule of not talking politics so I'll keep this very short and very sweet. I've been so moved by this election, the history that has been made, the way that the world sat on the edge of its seat and the way that people from many corners of the world celebrated. from the moment I started engaging in politics and voting my voice, I have dreamt of participating in such a monumental decision, a monumental change and I'm so grateful, so grateful and so hopeful and it feels so good.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I don't know if you have ever read the poem "still i rise" by maya angelou, but when barack made his speech it came immediately to mind. I know the ideas may not be exactly the same but the emotion that it brought back was amazing! read it if/when you have a chance - it's a beautiful poem!!